Reduce your Arizona State Taxes and support the Shadow Mountain High School Band with an Arizona Educational Tax Credit Donation
The Arizona Tax Credit Program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows any Arizona taxpayer to donate up to $400* to a school of their choice in support of extracurricular programs and get their entire donation back in the form of a tax credit. Contributor’s may donate on behalf of a named student. *Individuals and couples filing jointly may take advantage of this tax credit. A maximum of $200 can be deducted per individual tax return, or couples filing a joint return may deduct a maximum of $400. Speak with your tax advisor if you have specific questions.
Take Action Now! Here is how:
- Download and fill out the tax credit form.
- Write a check for up to $200 for single individuals (or head of household) or $400 for married couples filing a joint return ($200 if married filing separately), made payable to Shadow Mountain High School
- Mail completed form and payment to:
Shadow Mountain High School
2902 East Shea Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85028
- All checks must be made payable to Shadow Mountain High School — write “BAND” in the memo space and the band program will be credited with the entire amount. If you want your tax credit to apply directly to the Band account of a specific student, you must write the name of the student next to the word Band in the memo space of your check.
- Receive a receipt in the mail from the school
- When you prepare your Arizona state taxes, include Form 322: Credit for Fees Paid to Public Schools. This allows you to subtract the entire amount of your tax credit donation from the state taxes you owe.
- Claim the donation, to the full extent allowed by law, on your IRS Form 1040 Schedule A, or as directed by your tax professional.
One $200 credit is allowed for each single taxpayer (or head of household) or $400 for married couples filing a joint return ($200 if married filing separately). Credits may be used only to the extent that they reduce state tax liability to zero. However, if you have extra credit left over, you can carry it forward for up to five years. You don’t have to have a child in school to claim the credit. The school must use the money for extracurricular activities, such as after school clubs, field trips or science laboratory equipment. If you have questions about the AZ Tax Credit, contact your tax professional or visit the Paradise Valley Unified School District web site for more information.
A: School tax credit donations help pay extracurricular activity fees. Funds can apply to sports, arts and music programs, and most after-school student clubs.
A: A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the actual taxes owed. A tax deduction only reduces total taxable income from which the taxes owed is calculated.
A: Yes, you can indicate areas of allocation, such as band. Designation must be made at the time of donation.